Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Unbalanced pH

Many physicians believe that acid-producing diet may hasten aging by preventing cells from protecting themselves. As Dr. Jeanette Graf, the author of Stop Aging, Start Living (Crown) describes in an article published last month, unbalanced pH may induce dull skin tone, bumps and wrinkles on your skin. High acidity intake may also lead to internal problems, such as thinner bones and low muscle mass. Dr. Graf states that only one quarter of your diet should be acid-producing foods, such as meat, most dairy, processed food or refined sugar. The rest should be alkaline-forming, such as fruits, nuts or vegetables.

Highly alkalinizing foods are asparagus, strawberries, sweet potatoes, kiwi and celery -- I've definitely noticed a great change in the tone and firmness of my skin after adding more fresh fruits and vegetables to my diet. I also have very few blemishes now. An immediate change shouldn't be expected -- as with many great things, your skin or health won't improve overnight. Though I've always stuck on a nutritious diet, I made drastic changes to it four months ago after realizing that I wasn't eating enough to get the results I wanted! It is important to remember to eat healthy food -- in a weight obsessed world, we tend to eliminate, eliminate, eliminate and forget to consume what the body seriously needs. As for example, I eat acid-forming yoghurt for the digestive benefits -- you can't achieve a balanced diet by completely disregarding any food group.

More information is available at the website of Experience Life Magazine.

No comments: